A Dozen Tips for Selecting a Builder
When you’re looking for a builder to build your new home, here’s some questions to consider:
1. Can you use your own plans and will the builder price these?
2. Who will manage your build?
3. Be sure you see a display home and some previous completed homes.
4. How is the warranty managed and any repairs carried out?
5. Will a cabinet maker assist with kitchen and bathroom cabinetry designs, and how flexible are these items?
6. Will the builder allow changes during construction and how are variations charged; and can you vary the builders’ standard range of selections?
7. How do you arrange site visits during construction?
8. What insurance cover does the builder have and ask for proof of policies.
9. How detailed will the building contract be with specifications for finishes and inclusions?
10. How and when are payments to the builder managed?
11. What are provisional sum and prime cost items, and will there be any included in your contract?
12. Can you contact any past clients to hear about their building experience with the builder?